Nocturia is the technical term for excessive urination at night – that is if a person is waking up repeatedly during the night to urinate. Nocturia is particularly bothersome because it can significantly affect a man’s sleep patterns, causing significant daytime fatigue. This sleep deprivation can, in turn, cause them to be less effective in their work and personal lives. In addition, nocturia can adversely affect the sufferer’s partner who often wakes up as a result.
Causes of Nocturia
One of the causes of nocturia is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). As a result, nocturia is a very common complaint of men beginning in middle-age.
Other causes of nocturia are varied and may be as simple as lifestyle habits or as serious as cancer. They can include:
- Drinking too much too soon before bed (especially caffeinated or alcoholic drinks)
- Obstruction of the urethra (other than from BPH)
- Bladder problems
- Other organ problems and failures
- Excessive urine production, also caused polyuria
Only a qualified urologist can determine the cause of nocturia and suggest the most effective treatment.
Treatment for Nocturia
Patients can help their urologists determine the most effective treatment for nocturia by keeping a detailed log of their urinary patterns as well as recording the other Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS) that they may be experiencing on a regular basis. Doing so can allow the urologist to build an accurate diagnosis of the condition and possible causes.
Common treatments for nocturia may include:
- Lifestyle modifications to reduce fluid intake before bed
- Treatment for underlying BPH including in-office procedures, medication and surgery
- Treatment for underlying conditions such as diabetes, heart failure, kidney problems and bladder problems
Treating nocturia can help both the sufferer and those living with him. It can also contribute to an improved work and personal life. Visit a urologist to learn more about the causes of nocturia and learn more about effective treatments for your particular circumstances.